India | Himalaya
Indian Himalaya: Portrait
- The ascent through the evergreen oak forest is joyful. The trees, standing far apart, provide enough shadow against the relentless sun. High temperatures heat up the mountain from the early morning. Without the northerly gentle breeze we would suffer on the open plains and make fairly half of the feet we collect now.
- We hurry. The frozen crust starts to soften, every single step becomes harder, not only due to the higher altitude of 14.000 feet. We wish to reach the summit soon, the slope promises a beautiful descent if we catch it at right time. Ah, curry powder! Like during the last days I want to have a decent slope of fast gliding. Kapil, Ravi and I shake hands at the winter peak and start immediately with the preparations for a grandiose descent.
- The Indian part of the Himalaya is situated between Nepal, Pakistan and Tibet and in the east between Nepal and Bhutan. This territory is covered by the Indian states of Himachal Pradesh, Kashmir and Ladakh resp. Sikkim.
- The most-known mountain range is Tien Shan in the east and southeast of the country. China and Kasachstan have borders there. In the southwest, there is the Pamir range.
- Due to its geographical position, the climate is influenced by the Indian ocean. The monsoon splits up the seasons in dry and wet months.
Indian Himalaya: Activities & actual conditions
- The mountains of the Indian Himalaya offer a great variety for the ambitious back country skier. The best season is spring – namely March. The winters are cold and the snow pack unstable. The heat of the spring arrives in April and melts the snow cover away up to 3.000m altitude.
- The biggest challenge is the approach. Saying this, in practical ways many tours are only feasible as two- or three day projects, consequently dealing with all issues in terms of equipment and logistics.
- Many valleys can be reached hardly or not at all by public transport during winter.
- The Himalaya is a mountaineers paradise, not only for the ambitious one, but also modest altitudes between 4.000m and 6.000m offer fantastic climbs. These objectives require less time to acclimatize and less logistics.
- Mountains higher than 6.000m require a special permit.
- Climbs can be considered mixed climbing in rock, snow and ice.
- The best climbing season is from March to June and from September to October.
- There are no limits for treks, even for long distance treks of 20 days and more. Such trips are supported by horses, yaks and porters.
- The choice of routes is immense and tailor-made trips are possible. Even individual, independent trekking is possible, although map material is not suitable and trail marks are not obvious. Orientation skills should be on top.
- The best treking season is from March to June and from September to October.
Tour idea – Skitouring in the Kulu Valley
- Where: Kulu Valley, Himachal Pradesh
- Itinerary: Solang Valley
- Activity: Ski touring
- also included: visits to cultural sites
- Season: March
- Length: 7 days
- Day 1: Arrival & meeting in Manali, Himachal Pradesh. Transfer to Solang Village (11km) and check in 3-start hotel. Short ski tour above Solang in the early afternoon.
- Day 2-6: We start early for our daily ski tours – either directly from the hotel on ski or we drive in our car to our starting points. The ski tours will lead into Solang Valley, around the Rothang pass and further down from the Kulu valley itself.
- Day 7: We visit the Roerich museum and check out the fortress in Nagar; in late afternoon transfer to the bus to Delhi or airport.
- Base for the calculation: 2 persons
- Costs per person: 1.100 Euro
- Breakfast, dinner and transport is included
- Heliskiing can be booked separately
- Team: Mountain guide, driver
- The prices depend from the booked services and can be arranged individually.
- This tour and the price is given as an orientation to you.
- This tour idea is just one of many possibilities. You don’t need a vehicle, but horses? Only a guide? Or just some equipment for rent? We can organize everything…
- Send us your request and we can answer your questions immediately.
Want to trek, climb or ski in India?
Then drop us a line and we can consult you about your possibilities in this fascinating country in South Asia!
India Travel Information
- Country domain: .in
- Country phone code: +91
- Emergency: 112