- South Korea is a peninsula between the Japan Sea and the Yellow Sea, bordering North Korea. Mountains rise in the North East and in central South, remaining below 2.000m, like the numerous volcanic islands.
- The summer are hot and humid, but the fall and the spring are cooler and drier. Winds from Sibiria provide arctic temperatures during the winter.
- Typhoons are a constant threat during the summer months.
- The best places are the volcanic islands Jeju-Do and Ulleung-Do. The runs are not difficult, but rather fun in the woods, seldom in open space.
- Yongpyong, the site of future winter olympics, is another possibility, but preferably for free riders than ski tourers.
- Trekking is a national obsession in South Korea. Equipment and infrastructure in National Parks prove it.
- Good places to go are the volcanic islands mentioned in the ski touring section, and also the National Parks of Seoraksan (North), Chiaksan (Central) and Jirisan (South).
- Sea Kayaking along the coast is another great activity to learn more about South Korea’s nature and diversity.
Tour idea – Ski touring in the Japan Sea
- Where: Ulleung-Do, South Korea
- Itinerary: Pohang – Ulleung-Do – Pohang
- Activity: Ski touring
- also included: coastal trekking
- Season: December to February
- Length: 4 days / 3 nights
- Day 1: Departure for Ulleungdo from Pohang Ferry Terminal, Transfer to Lodge, short tour in the afternoon
- Day 2: We ski the entire day at one of the main peaks of the island.
- Day 3: Another ski touring day to the other side of the island.
- Day 4: Short ski trip in the morning or a coastal trek before getting on the ferry to Pohang
- Base for the calculation: 1 person
- Costs per person: 550 US$
- Accomodation, all meals and transport on island is included
- Chartered van for transportation to Pohang Ferry Terminal and ferry tickets between main land and Ulleungdo is included
- Team: English speaking backcountry skiing tour guide
- The prices depend from the booked services and can be arranged individually.
- This tour and the price is given as an orientation to you.
- This tour idea is just one of many possibilities. You don’t need a guide, but a driver? Or just some equipment for rent? We can organize everything…
- Send us your request and we can answer your questions immediately.
- Visa for UK/US/CAN: UK & US 90 days on arrival, CAN up to 6 months on arrival
- Currency: South Korean Won (KRW) – Converter
- Time zone: UTC+9 or 13 hours ahead of New York City
- Country domain: .kr
- Country phone code: +54
- Emergency: 119