Russia | Siberia
Portrait – Activities & Conditions – Tour Idea – Facts – Request – Russia News
- Our jeep moves slowly through the snow. The road, a twenty miles stretch from a small village into the mountains, is rough and we need the entire afternoon to reach our destination. We arrive in darkness. The hut’s light shines into the forest, the oven’s heat makes us tired but comfortable. The dinner is hearty, the obligatory Vodka shot just right. We sit around the table and discuss the options for the next days. Guide Kostya will lead us into steep couloirs, gentle forest runs, flat glaciers and icy plateaus. I can’t wait for the first day on ski to begin, to learn what snow Siberia has to offer.
- The next day we truly start to understand, what Siberia really is about: endlessness. As we climb a saddle, a few hours away from the hut, a sea of mountains and forests confronts us. The white stretches to the horizon. It is cold, despite the blue sky and strong sun. We take off the skins from the ski, descent in a not very deep powder, but effortlessly to ski. As there is still enough time before darkness, we climb up again and ski another slope down to a bivvy hut, our cozy overnight shelter.
- For more inspiration, we wrote an article about a recent journey to Siberia – continue reading about a back country ski trip to the Siberian Altai Mountains
- Siberia is the biggest chunk of Russia and streches east from the Ural to the Pacific. It’s northern border is the Arctic Sea, in the South the steppe and mountains of Central Asia.
- The climate is very continental with warm and hot summers (less in the North) and extremely cold temperatures in the winter.
- Weather is generally instable – with enduring weather fronts from West and North. More stable conditions can be expected in the winter.
- Interesting ski touring options exists throughout Siberia and varies from high alpine to hilly.
- Examples are the Chuisky Range in the South, the Podnebesnie Zub’ya Range north of it.
- Hut to Hut tours are possible as daily ski tours from a central base camp.
- Unlimited options exist in the Altai, mostly as mixed climbs in rock, snow and ice – during summer and even winter. A long approach leads to the Belucha Mountain, the highest peak of Sibiria.
- Trekking is very popular and due to the dimensions endless. You can trek for years – in the arctic North or the high alpine South.
- Travel weather | Mountain weather | Sea weather
- Automobilclub Russia
- no avalanche forecast for Siberia | Volcanoes | Severe weather warnings
- Travel security | Health issues
Tour idea – Ski touring at Aktru
- Where: Altai Republik
- Itinerary: Barnaul-Chiusky Range-Barnaul
- Activity: Skitouring
- Season: March, April, November
- Length: 10 days / 9 nights
- Day 1: Arrival in Barnaul and transfer to the South (about 670 km!).
- Day 2: Off-road drive to the base camp in the Chiusky Range, short ski tour in the afternoon.
- Day 3-8: daily ski tours with our ski guide – mostly along glaciers to different cols and peaks. Two-day tours with overnight stay in a bivvy hut are possible.
- Day 9: We return to Barnaul by car and check-in in our hotel in the evening.
- Day 10: Transfer to the airport
- Base for the calculation: 2 persons
- Costs per person: 1.290 Euro
- All meals, accomodation and transport from/back to Barnaul is included
- traditional Russian sauna included
- Team: Guide, Driver, Cook
- The prices depend from the booked services and can be arranged individually.
- This tour and the price is given as an orientation to you.
- This tour idea is just one of many possibilities. You don’t need a vehicle, but horses? Only a guide? Or just some equipment for rent? We can organize everything…
- Send us your request and we can answer your questions immediately.
Want to trek, climb or ski in Siberia?
Then drop us a line and we can consult you about your possibilities in this fascinating region in North Asia!
Siberia Travel Information
- Visa for UK/US/CAN: visa necessary before arrival
- Currency: Russ. Rubel (RUB) – Converter
- Time zone: UTC +6 or 10 hours ahead of New York City
- Country domain: .ru
- Country phone code: +7
- Emergency: 03