Papua New Guinea
- Papua New Guinea is a nation of several hundred islands, and as many airports and languages. The main island is divided roughly in two zones: the massive mountain range from west to east, and the coastal regions with the biggest cities of the country.
- The geographical location close to the equator dominates the climate: it rains almost on a daily basis, for a short time and dries quickly in the strong sun. The coast lines and plains are tropical, the highlands comfortably cool.
- There are two season in Papua: the dry season from May to October, and the wet season from December to March.
- Mt.Wilhelm is the main attraction in the highlands, but with a longer approach and without any technical difficulties
- Other peaks are lower, but the approach is more complex
- Long distance treks cross the island from South to North and vice versa
- Private guides are recommended, as almost all treks lead through private Clan territory
- An Expedition is worth doing so, not just because of the nature of Papua New Guinea, but is incredible variety of cultures.
- Visa for UK/US/CAN: Visa on arrival (only intern. airports Port Moresby and Rabaul, otherwise visa before arrival necessary), 60 days
- Currency: PNG Kina (PGK) – Converter
- Time zone: UTC +10 or 10 hours ahead of New York City
- Country domain: .pg
- Country phone code: +675
- Emergency: no national number, each community uses its own number!