Portrait – Activities & Conditions – Tour Idea – Facts – Lebanon News – Request
- The deep valley is covered with tall pines and evergreen oaks. We follow the river upstream on its right bank along a narrow trail and stumble more than once over deserted monasteries which have been constructed centuries ago in the steep cliffs and of the canyon. The christian monks have created themselves a safe space, protecting them from a hostile environment. The varied trail goes up to tiny villages and falls down to the river bank, more than once we cross over antique stone bridges.
- The landscape in spring is fertile and green. But also during summer, when the heat at the coast is great, the valley provides shadow and cool air at 900 m sea level. Wild asparagus and thyme grows along the path, and in one of the guarded monasteries we receive lebanese bread, tea and cheese. We are invited to stay overnight, which we happily accept, not only because of the fantastic smell of lebanes dinner and tasty red wine, but foremost the views over the yellowish glaring cliffs of the canyon.
- Lebanon has a long coast at the Eastern Mediterrean Sea. It borders with Syria in the North and East and with Israel in the South. The country consists to 50% of mountains. The coast as the rest of the country enjouy a maritime, mediterrean climate. The mountains reach an altitude of 3000 meters.
- Two mountain ridges divide the country from North to South: the Mount Lebanon range and the so-called Anti-Lebanon. In between lies the Bekaa valley. Rain falls late in the year and turns into snowfall in the mountains through the winter. The rest of the year is very dry.
Lebanon: Activities & actual conditions
- The two mountain ranges of Lebanon provides the keen hiker with endless possibilities. The crown jewel is the Lebanon Mountain Trail, a 400 km wide trail from North to South. Overnight stays in guesthouses and private rooms along the way. The official website provides many details.
- Besides this main attraction many other day or weekend hikes exists. The LMT website gives also some ideas.
- The best season for trekking is the fall and the spring.
- During winter, snowshoeing is an interesting alternative.
- Rock climbing is a relatively new outdoor activity. There exist about a dozen established sport and trad climbing spots in Lebanon.
- Rock is mostly limbstone. The Der Fels ist überwiegend Kalkstein. The best resource for climbing in Lebanon is the Lebanese Climbing Association.
- Climbing season is from September to June, although rain and snowfall must be expected during the winter months.
- Backcountryskiing in Lebanon is expedition-style. Lot of snowfall during winter and great ski mountains makes it an interesting skitouring spot in the Middle East.
- There are no mountain huts available (like in the Alps). You have to organize your private accomodation in the nearby villages, if you don’t want to approach your skitour from the coastal cities.
- Best season for skitouring is January and February, although December can be an early option in some years.
- Travel weather | Mountain weather
- no avalanche forecast for Lebanon | Severe weather warnings
- Travel security | Health issues
Tour idea – Weekend hike in Kadisha valley
- Where: Kadisha Valley, Mt Lebanon Range
- Activity: hiking
- also included: visiting historic sites (monasteries)
- Season: March to May, September to October
- Length: 2 days / 1 night
- Day 1: Meeting at your hotel in Beirut. Transfer to the entrance of the Kadisha Valley. We begin the hike through the valley of the saints and visit some old monasteries along the pittoresque trail. We stay in a private house for the night.
- Day 2: After breakfast, we continue our way through the valley and have lunch in a nun monastery before reaching the entrance of the valley from the other side. We drive back to Beirut and bring you to your hotel.
- Base for the calculation: 1 person
- Costs per person: 85 Euro
- All meals and transport (private vehicle) from Beirut to Kadesha valley and back are included
- 1 night accomodation
- Team: Driver and english-speaking guide
- The prices depend from the booked services and can be arranged individually.
- This tour and the price is given as an orientation to you.
- This tour idea is just one of many possibilities. You don’t need a vehicle, but trekking/camping equipment? We can organize everything…
- Send us your request and we can answer your questions immediately.
Want to trek or skitour in Lebanon?
Then drop us a line and we can consult you about your possibilities in this fascinating country in the Middle East!
Lebanon Travel Information
- Visa for UK/US/CAN: 30 days on arrival
- Currency: Lebanese Pound (LBP) – Converter
- Time zone: UTC+3 or 7 hours ahead of New York City
- Country domain: .lb
- Country phone code: +961
- Emergency: 112