Geography & Climate – Activities & Conditions – Tour Idea – Facts – Request – Japan News
Geography & Climate
- Japan consists of four main islands and hundreds small islands. It is mostly mountainous and many peaks are of volcanic origin or active volcanoes.
- The summer months are hot and humid, but the fall and the spring are cooler and drier. Winds from Sibiria provide arctic temperatures during the winter.
- Typhoons are a constant threat during the summer months.
- Japan’s most famous back country skiing lie in Hokkaido and in the Japanese Alps (Honshu) around Hakuba.
- Hokkaido is mostly covered by forests, Hakuba offers more alpine ski touring.
- Volcanoes like Mt. Yotei or Mt. Fuji are very exposed to winds.
- Trekking is a national sport in Japan. Equipment and infrastructure in National Parks prove it.
- The Japanese Alps, Hokkaido and Kyushu are the best places for trekking. Mt. Fuji is maybe the most popular hiking spot in Japan, and so the busiest (in summer).
- Sea Kayaking along the coast is another great activity to learn more about Japan’s nature and diversity.
Tour idea – Bento Box Ski touring
- Where: Hokkaido, Japan
- Itinerary: Otaru-Rusutsu-Daisetsuzan
- Activity: Ski touring
- Season: February to March
- Length: 6 days / 5 nights
- Day 1: Arrival in Sapporo, Transfer to Otaru, short tour in the afternoon
- Day 2: Tree runs all day in the back country of Otaru
- Day 3: 3 peaks in a row – back country skiing close to Niseko
- Day 4: Ascent of Mt. Yotei, transfer to Chitose and pick up of your rental car
- Day 5: Drive to Furano, freeriding in the ski area
- Day 6: Ascent of Mt. Asahidake, return to Chitose and drop off your rental car
- Base for the calculation: 2 persons
- Costs per person: 700 Euro
- Accomodation with breakfast (6 days), ski guide and transport (day 2 to 4) included
- Transfer from Sapporo to Otaru included
- Not included: plane ticket, transport from Airport Sapporo Station, rental car (days 5 and 6) and meals
- The prices depend from the booked services and can be arranged individually.
- This tour and the price is given as an orientation to you.
- In March 2016, DIY Expeditions went on a ski trip to Hokkaido to discover the island and enjoy the famous dry powder of North Japan.
- Learn more about the trip and back country conditions in our “Hokkaido 2016 DIY Expeditions Ski Road Trip” report.
- This tour idea is just one of many possibilities. You don’t need a guide, but only a car? Or just some equipment for rent? We can organize everything…
- Send us your request and we can answer your questions immediately.
- Visa for UK/US/CAN: UK & US 90 days on arrival
- Currency: Japan. Yen (JPY) – Converter
- Time zone: UTC+9 or 13 hours ahead of New York City
- Country domain: .jp
- Country phone code: +81
- Emergency: 119