Geography & Climate – Activities & Conditions – Tour Idea – Facts – Request – Georgia News
Geography & Climate
- Georgia lies between the Caspian Sea and the Black Sea, on the south side of the Caucasus, which separates it from Russia. The peaks on the Georgian side are higher than 5.000 m and glaciated.
- The best months to trek are from May to June and September to October. During spring, the valleys are full in green. Depending on the altitude, snow cover can be still high. The summer is drier, and in the valleys hot, in the mountains cool. The fall is dry again, but cooler. Winter months are rainy in the valleys, but very snowy in the mountains.
- The main season for ski touring is during spring. However, you’ll find ice-cold conditions on the exposed big peaks. Road connections can be interrupted due to avalanches.
- Mt. Kazbek & mountains: a mountain for the experienced ski tourer. Technically not difficult, but the elements can be very harsh and unpredictable.
- Svaneti offers some nice ski tours and much room for exploration
- Alternatively, two big ski stations are a nice back-up plan for bad weather: Bakuriani und Gudauri.
- Mt. Kazbek: a very popular objective during summer. Equipment for glacier travel and stable weather are necessary.
- Svaneti: the peaks are very alpine and much more challenging than Mt. Kazbek.
- Svaneti: many day hikes or multiple-day treks possible our of Mestia
- Tusheti: a very remote valley, which can be reached in summer only
- Travel weather | Mountain weather
- no avalanche forecast for Georgia | Severe weather warnings
- Travel security | Health issues
Tour idea – Climb & Wine
- Where: Georgia, Caucasus Range
- Peaks: Mt. Kazbek
- Activity: Mountaineering
- also included: Trekking, sightseeing, wine tasting
- Season: June to October
- Length: 10 days / 9 nights
- Day 1: Meeting at Tbilisi airport and transfer to Stepantsminda. Overnight stay in a guest house.
- Day 2: This is acclimatization and rest day – climbing up to 3.000 m altitude (Saberce pass) and returning to Stepantsminda for another night.
- Day 3 & 4: We set off early to reach the „Meteo station“ (3.700 m) through the Gergeti glacier. The station is an old building from 1934 and currently works as a refuge for alpinists. On the next day, we head for an altitude of 4.200 m and return to the “Meteo station” to complete our acclimatization.
- Day 5 & 6: We set off to the peak of Mt. Kazbek (5.047 m) very early in the morning, reach the summit and return for the night to the „Meteo station“. Next day we hike back to Stepantsminda.
- Day 7: We transfer to Kakheti in East Georgia, the homeland of wine. This includes a trip to the David Gareja monastery. After the visit, we will taste Georgian dishes and Georgian wine, which is produced locally in Kakheti.
- Day 8: A relaxing tour to the Alaverdi monastery (XI century) and the Gremi castle (VIII century), including a museum trip of Georgian prince Alexander Chavchavadze and a wine tasting.
- Day 9: Before returning to Tblisi, we check the palace of Georgian king Erekle the second and later Signagi, a town castle.
- Day 10: The last day is reserved for Gori, where Stalin was born, and the antique city Uplistsikhe. We return to Tbilisi and enjoy the famous sulphury bath house and a last dinner. Next day: Transfer to airport.
- Base for the calculation: 2 persons
- Costs per person: USD
- All meals, accomodation and transport is included
- Entries to the National park included as well
- Team: UIAGM Mountainguide and driver, pack horses for the mountain trip
- The prices depend from the booked services and can be arranged individually.
- This tour and the price is given as an orientation to you.
- This tour idea is just one of many possibilities. You don’t need a vehicle, but horses? Only a guide? Or just some equipment for rent? We can organize everything…
- Send us your request and we can answer your questions immediately.
- Visa for UK/US/CAN: UK up to 180 days on arrival; US/CAN: 90 days on arrival
- Currency: US$ (USD) – Converter
- Time zone: UTC +4 or 8 hours ahead of New York City
- Country daomain: .ge
- Country phone code: +995
- Emergency: 112